1.23.2009

So the day after I got back from Orlando (which was also the day I was home sick, BOO!) my accounting course started. Let me tell you, I flew through the first Chapter! I had the homework done two days later and the two quizes were easily finished a couple of days after that. The homework and quizes for the first two chapters were due 2 weeks after the course started so I was ahead of schedule and I decided to do some extra work on chapter 1. The other night, I started reading chapter 2 and thought that I was going to throw the book at something. They throw the words "debit" and "credit" around with no actual meaning, just that debits go on the left and credits on the right. A credit doesn't always equal an increase or money in and a debit doesn't always equal a decrease or money out. Needless to say, after a year of working in a bank where debits and credits need to be matched all the time and they both have very specific meanings, I don't appreciate having to use memorization for chapter 2. I was and am slightly frustrated. I finally gave up looking for a reason and started some of the extra problems at the back of the chapter so that I could get some practice before I have to do the homework and quizes. I made myself a cheat sheet so that I don't have to keep flipping back and forth in the book. Annoying!
But considering that I finally got it and can do the exercises easily and that I just spent almost an hour trying to help a customer find an error in her check register, I'm thinking that I'm still in the right class!

1 comment:

Sydney said...

you always were the one I asked for help when my checkbook was off balance...